Winner of the National Design Award of Latvia - visualisation application “Infogram”
First recipients of the National Design Award of Latvia were announced in a special awards ceremony at the Museum of Decorative Arts and Design on March 3, 2017. The first prize was awarded to data visualisation application “Infogram”, author: Infogram, exhibition stall design “Civilizācijas nospiedumi” (“Civilisation’s footprint”), author: Ilze Kalnbērziņa Praz placed second, with the third place being granted to children’s balance bike “Brum Brum”, author: Krišjānis Jermaks. Main award recipient will be granted financial support from the Ministry of Culture in the amount of 2000 EUR for participation in an international design contest. Design Award’s main partner - IT company “Accenture” bestowed their special award for “Digital business” to brand design “Soma”, author: brand design studio “Overpriced”.
“The design industry holds Latvia’s hidden success stories - this is exactly how we can allocate added value to a service or product, furthering the quality of entrepreneurship and competitiveness in general. The National Design Award’s mission is to showcase our greatest designer achievements to the wider public.
The jury faced a most difficult task at hand, but was ultimately able to select the first recipient of this Award from 147 contestants. I am content with the multitude of applications from the most diverse disciplines with nearly all submissions containing elements of innovation,” accents Minister for Culture Dace Melbārde.
National Design Award of Latvia recipient, data visualisation application “Infogram”, author: Infogram, main designer Jānis Godiņš: “The award is an unexpected, yet pleasant surprise! Our design is a service and its aim is to help every person convey their message in a simple manner. Design is a feature of all our company processes - from creating our product and work culture, to client communications. Huge thanks to our entire team - this is a common achievement.”
National Design Award of Latvia 2017 finalists are:
- Children’s balance bike “Brum Brum”, author: Krišjānis Jermaks.
- Bag and game-set "Ģimenes soma" author: "Droši un koši” society
- Brand design “Soma”, author: brand design studio “Overpriced”
- Brand identity change for Riga Technical University, author: Design studio TEIKA
- Data visualisation application “Infogram”, author: Infogram
- Brand short film “UNIFORM”, author: Ivars Burtnieks
- Indoor bicycle cover “Velosock", author: Oskars Mickevičs
- Environmental object - pavilion "Parametriskais ledājs", author: Didzis Jaunzems
- Exposition design “Gaismas pils un Stikla kalns", author: Dd studio
- Interior of “Bistro BALTS”, author: Zane Tetere-Šulce
- Educational children’s game “Kokotājs”, author: SIA "Oliver Latvia”
- Tableware collection “Zeme", author: Uģis Balodis, Miks Balodis
- Exhibition stall design"Civilizācijas nospiedumi”, author: Ilze Kalnbērziņa Praz
- Cottage interior in Cesis, author: OUTOFBOX / Lolot design
- Fiberglass boat “RUPUCIS", author: Jānis Briška
- Transformable furniture “SO:LO", author: Aija Priede-Sietiņa, Daneks Sietiņš
- Exhibition "Upe Melānija”, author: Mistrus Media, National Library of Latvia, museum of Melānija Vanaga
- Fashion collection "Savvaļas Putni", author: Amoralle
- Permanent exposition "Grāmata Latvijā", author: GAISS / Associates, Partners et Sons / National Library of Latvia
- Microphone “Runa”, author: Charles Bušmanis (Bourrier)
147 design works were submitted to the National Design Award of Latvia between January 1 and February 1 of 2017 and were evaluated by an international jury team. Each jury member first evaluated all submissions individually, relying on their professional competency. In a joint meeting on March 1, the jury elected Stephane Vial as the jury chairman and after several hours of discussion, reached a consensus on the 20 best design finalists. In the last evaluation phase, after the finalist announcement, the jury was joined by this year’s special guest - the co-founder and director of the leading global design magazine “Frame” - Robert Thiemann.
This year’s international Design Award jury featured the co-founder and director of the leading global design magazine “Frame” - Robert Thiemann, creative director of internationally awarded agency Gagarin - Hringur Hafsteinsson, Associate Professor of Design, Doctoral Advisor and Research Leader at PROJEKT Lab at University of Nîmes - Stephane Vial, Architect, professor of Westerdals Oslo School of Arts, Communication and Technology - Vesma Kontere McQuillan, head of the Museum of Decorative Arts and Design - Inese Baranovska, designer, curator and founder of MAD International Summer School of Design, - Rihards Funts as well as associate professor of the Art Academy of Latvia - Barbara Ābele.
The National Design Award of Latvia is organised by H2E Design Studio in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia, Art Academy of Latvia, Latvian National Museum of Art, and the Museum of Decorative Arts and Design. The Award’s main partner is one of the leading Latvian and global IT companies “Accenture”.